In accordance with the dissolution of permanent Region boundaries decision, each Region is tasked with hosting their final election during FY18 in accordance with Society and Region Bylaws. Region D will elect a Senator for a three-year term commencing on July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021.
Please take some time to consider who you feel has the skills and qualifications to best lead the Society through these roles. You may submit a nomination (via the form below) for someone else or yourself. The deadline for submitting nominations is January 14, 2018 by 11:59pm in your local time zone. Nominees may apply only in the Region where his/her membership resides.
Feb 1 – Slate presented to members of the Region D Council
Mar 1 – Slate presented to Society Headquarters to follow Society Election schedule
Additional candidates may be nominated by petition, provided that: 1. The member is eligible for the position; 2. The member has given written consent to being placed on the ballot; 3. A minimum of two percent of the voting members of the region have signed a petition or endorsed an email to place the candidate’s name on the ballot, with no more than half of the signatures or endorsements having been made from any one professional section or the members at large; and 4. The petition, together with the written consent, is submitted to the nominating committee prior to February 20.
The ideal candidate would have the skills/competencies listed below (in alignment with the SWE Leadership Competency Model):
o Strong and consistent communication skills (in-person and virtual, presentations and public speaking, consistent)
o Champion for diversity and inclusion internally within the Society as well as externally in the engineering community
o Ability to listen and distill large amounts of information o Availability for multi-year commitment
• Business Acumen
o Strategic planning experience and/or strategic thinking skills
o Knowledge of SWE and/or other non-profit organizations
• Leadership Abilities
o Leadership and change management experience
o Working knowledge of SWE’s Core Value on Inclusive Environment and alignment to SWE’s Diversity Principles
• Mentoring, Coaching and Sponsorship
o Seeking and/or being a mentor, coach, or sponsor o Diverse networks
Senators are responsible for:
o Charting the strategic direction of SWE by developing and adopting long-range goals for the Society.
o Developing and/or adopting proposed changes to the Society bylaws, policies, and procedures that are in line with the strategic plan.
o Conducting essential dialogue with Society membership on long-term trends and issues of common interest.
• Senators must be voting members of the Society (except Special Senators) and will serve for a term of three (3) fiscal years.
• Senators should anticipate participating in a lot of virtual meetings and communications
• The role typically requires the following time commitments:
o Monthly Conference Calls – 1 hour each
o Participation in 1 Sub-Team
• Annual Strategic Planning (2 mandatory face-to-face meetings, calls 1-5 hours per month)
• Strategic Initiatives (Variable)
• Committees Strategic Planning (Variable)
• Communications (Variable) o Face-to-Face Senate Meetings – At least 2 per fiscal year
• Annual Conference (Fall; 3 days – Mandatory)
• Winter Senate Meeting (Winter; 1 day – Mandatory)
• WE Local (Spring; 1 day – Currently not required, but highly recommended)
o Offline discussions on bylaws amendments and motions (Variable)
o Active communication with Society membership
• Funding for travel is currently available through SWE for the Winter Senate Meeting and Annual Strategic Planning Sub-Team face-to-face meetings. Future funding to be determined.
These roles and responsibilities are subject to change by the Senate leadership team as the governance changes continue to be implemented.
If you are interested in participating as a Region D Nominating Committee member, contact Carissa asap. We need to ensure a diverse committee for this process.